Valle Catholic Fourth Grade Students learned that the Bolduc House was built in the 1700’s, has vertical-log walls, and is decorated with period furnishings. It is not certain that Louis Bolduc built the house, but he was living there at the time of his death around 1815.
Their next stop was the Felix Valle House. It was built in 1818 but later bought by Felix Valle where he and his wife Odile used it as a home and a place of business.
The third stop was at the Guibourd-Valle House which was build in the early 1800’s. The oak beams of the roof trusses in the attic of this historic old home are pegged in place. Their last stop was at the Ste. Genevieve Museum which was constructed for the town’s 1935 Bicentennial. It contains varied collections of local memorabilia.
The students enjoyed doing a scavenger hunt while looking at the prehistoric and historic Indian relics, old documents, pictures of the 1973 and 1993 floods, the iron kettle used to boil salt water into salt from the Saline River, a scale model of the Mississippi river Transfer Boat, and much more!
Pictured are the Fourth Graders in the Guibourd-Valle House.